Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2 days each so different at the gym

Saturday I drove Mr. Bean over and had a strenuous workout.  Upped the weights a tiny bit and did the same amount.  Got to the pool and did stretches.  Great.  Even did a few extra.  Swam the usual 25 min. freestyle, 5 min. breaststroke, 5 min. cool down.  The older gent who had been there in the past was back.  I think he has some severe back pain, as his walking was very laboured and looked like he had regressed.


He brought up how he liked, "Monk."  Me too.  I like Monk.  He said he is kind of a slob.  Funny that he should like Monk.  


Well, it was nice to get to talk to another human being over there, esp. one whose native tongue is English.  At the end of the sauna, as I was walking back toward the locker room, he said, "May the Peace of the Lord be with you!!!"  I said, smiling, "Also with you."


Amazingly enough, I thought about this several times that day, that he passed the peace, actually, and at the gym!  Believe it or not, I told M. I wanted to go to church the next day, and you'll never guess what he preached on.... of course, the Peace of the Lord... Not only that we do not really pass the peace in our church, but have a little gab session, "How are you?  My name is..." and so forth and so on.  When really, the peace is a blessing, a little prayer...  and is what we should be doing as a part of our worship service.  I have always struggled  with this phony baloney stuff, so it was well received by me.  And on top of that, I found it interesting that someone blessed me in the pool room at the gym and not at the worship service!  


Pastor Mark also asked what was the one thing that is hindering the Peace of the Lord in our lives...  Actually, I think it is really anger.  But I said pain.  Pain leads me to have a very short fuse.  I think you could say Job was angry.


This leads to the second day at the gym, Monday.  I got there a bit late, since I was procrastinating.  It is not like most people, who say, "I didn't really want to go to the gym, but I am so glad I did, because I feel so much better now."  


For me it is more like, "I didn't really want to go to the gym, and when I got home, I was in so much more pain, even the icing and advil didn't really help; I wish I never had to go again!


Why do I go you ask?  Very simply this ~ to keep moving.  If I don't go, the muscles freeze up, atrophy and turn to the white part of the meat.... grizzle and fat.


So, this second day, Monday, I stuck with the upping of the weights and went through everything on the machines.  Fine.  Got to the pool and began to do some stretches.  Did some in the hot tub... ouch.... and then the regular ones in the pool where I swing the legs and do circles, etc.  There was another pretty good lap swimmer in the middle lane, and a sweet, young girl with a Christian t shirt who brought up some conversation about how she was trying out for a position in the Irving Rec Dept.  


Nice I thought, two days where I actually get to talk to someone in my native tongue.  Real conversation.  These thoughts were rudely interrupted when this big black guy proceeds to take big gulps of water from his water bottle only to spit it back out on the DECK OF THE POOL~  YUCH!  Nasty... I told him, "Please don't spit on the deck!  People walk there in their bare feet."  He kept right on doing it.


There was a 'red shirt guy' in the natatorium who completely ignored this interchange.  The guy kept spitting.  I asked him if he would like to walk where someone else had just spit.  He just ignored me.  He did have earphones in his ears.  But I got pretty loud.


I got out of the pool to see if I could see that red shirt guy to ask him why he did nothing.  But he was gone.  Before I left I went to the front desk to tell Peter about it, but he said he would have to know exactly who it was.  He told me to come tell him next time.  I said, "In my dripping bathing suit you want me to come to the front?"  "No, not exactly."


I am so ready to join another, "Health Club."  I never have liked it there.  They play the most horrid music, if you can call it that.  And now my headset is not working.  There is a ladies place right on the next block, but I am sure it is way over our price range.  Only if insurance pays for it could I go there.  Then I could swim at Northlake.   


Lord, thy will be done.

1 comment:

  1. I would not complain except this is not the first time this has happened while doing my stretches in the pool. Another guy, very much like the second, (maybe it was the same guy) hocked up a huge lugey and let it land on the deck of the pool. Too gross!

    Sometimes I just want to go home to my mother.

    ReplyDelete