Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Kinds of Physical Pain

So, when the doctor only sees inside their own spectrum and wants to do only what they have in their itinerary, and then they say, "No, it's not pleasant" when you ask if the procedure hurts rather than, "Yes, it hurts," I think it is time to ask another doctor if your numbing feet is due to the herniated disc, the rotated hip or another source.  Of course, if you then go home and check what other people have said after having this nerve test and find out their symptoms actually worsened and that it was like having air blowing on an exposed nerve in your tooth but magnified times twenty but also repeated for an unbearable amount of times, it doesn't lend to one's being willing to submit to more pain after having lived in chronic pain for going on four years.


It is one thing to experience the kind of pain it takes to bring forth new life out of your body, the kind of pain that yields real joyful relief.  It is another kind of pain when someone sticks a bunch of needles in your muscles and then shocks you until you scream.  Then they make you feel guilty because you are feeling too frail, too vulnerable, too shaken to want to submit to this procedure.  I also don't like prideful doctors who make fun of chiropractors and mock you when you show a bit of trepidation about experiencing further pain, when you are already at the breaking point, because you have only one "nerve left."


On the upside, it was a lovely day, and there are no clouds in the sky.  I went home, cried, and after researching said nerve test and cancelling it, went out and rode Huli the Bentley for as long as the strong south wind allowed.  


Icing definitely helped upon getting home.  Today, I did a full water workout with double stretches and have not yet had to ice!  


Today was the first time I could tell a positive difference when swimming the breaststroke!  It usually hurts quite a bit due to the hip rotation and in-turned right leg.  But after doing the E-cises since Xmas, I finally can say swimming six lengths of breaststroke did not hurt!  I also was able to do the elementary back stroke and did not grimace.


Doing the stretches, however, was another story.  I have been saving them til the end, and I can't say it doesn't hurt to do those.  But I was able to do two sets and was in the pool a full two hours.


I am so very thankful for the pool and pray God will see fit to keep it open until either we move or I die.


Now I want to make it part of my daily routine to walk on the mini trampoline at least thirty minutes (not all at once) and do the bongo board for as long as I can balance~


I am thankful, and waiting... while trying to stay upright and taking nourishment....

No comments:

Post a Comment