Friday, May 10, 2013

The waiting

So, we went to Dr. Roberts of Irving, who did take our insurance, scheduled the total hip replacement surgery, and found out a week before the date, our insurance does not cover the hospital.  It would have cost $350/day to have the surgery there.

After a thorough search, we found a doctor who did take our insurance, as well as his hospital.  We waited a few weeks to get in only to be referred to another doctor who is all the way in Ft. Worth.  It seems he is the cream of the crop for hip and knee replacements.  He edits a well known medical digest, and he appears to be very thorough.

When Mark told him about my candida infection, he sent me to the same hospital where the surgery will take place to have an aspiration to see if the candida is in my joint.  The doctor who did it could not get any fluids out of the bone on bone hip joint.  Now Dr. Weeden is sending me to an infectious disease doctor, but we can't get in there until a week before the scheduled surgery. 

I am thinking the surgery will now be postponed yet again, but the good thing is I have some better pain killers to tide me over.  The bad side is swimming has made me start itching again.  I feel better if I swim, but I feel itchier if I swim.  I have to hold off the swimming, because the itching keeps me awake.  So when I lose sleep, the pain is worse.  The negtive thing is I do more warfare prayers when I swim, so I will have to develop another routine whereby I can actively attack the enemy who habitually rares his ugly head up against all my freinds and family.

Meanwhile I have researched the hip implants and found out many have been recalled.  The metal parts all seem to pose a threat in the form of seeping out into the body and bloodstream.  I am not happy with the idea of having an artificial prosthesis inside my leg and hip, but neither am I happy hobbling around in pain the rest of my life.

All I know is if this infectious disease doc wants to perform another aspiration, he will have to put me to sleep.  That is not something I want to experience twice! 

Meanwhile, when I come to the end of my rope, the Lord comes and holds me in his lap, and soothes my heart with his gentle spirit.  He takes my fears away and reassures me he is in charge and will get me through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment